After spotting a car in the jar on Instagram, I decided I would have a go at trying to make it myself. When I went Christmas shopping for decorations, I was starting to see these little snow globe type ornaments everywhere I’m in completely in love. I think it’s nice to have decorations like this around the house on coffee tables, the fire place and on shelves.
What you’ll need:
- Car (1:64 scale) – I prefer the vintage cars but I have also made one with a Range Rover for my dad – I got them mine in Home Bargains but you can get them in a range of different places, eBay, Amazon and The Range.
- Magic Snow – I found this in Home Bargains – a small tube makes a lot of snow and if you are making more than one Christmas decoration that will use snow, I would advise making them all on the same day and then use it. This snow will stay like this as long as it stays dry. If your not using magic snow, use salt, it looks just as good and is just a cost effective.
- Mason Jar – small jar with a metal lid I think is most effective
- Christmas Tree – I believe others have used bristle like mini Christmas trees however I thought I would improvise and take apart another Christmas decoration. this time I found a faux pine Christmas tree decoration and took a branch from it, I then removed a few of the spines from the bottom so it now looks like a Christmas tree.
- Red & white string – originally I bought a few meters of eBay however I have seen that IKEA now have this as part of their Christmas wrapping section, its cheaper than buying it by the meter but the white is actually cream.
- Bells – I used Christmas decorations and took them apart to get the individual bells. You can get them from just about anywhere but I’d recommend a cheap one especially because they will be pulled apart. I didn’t use all of the bells for my car in a jar, so I added them to my Christmas wrapping.
1. Make your snow and add about 2cm to the bottom of the jar, shake it around the bottom so some of it goes over the windows so it looks like its snowing. o0 2. Make your Christmas tree and tie it to the car using the red & white string and put it in the jar
3. Close the lid of your jar and tie some red & white string around the top with some bells. Place wherever you want in your house, or even better add a gift tag, driving home for Christmas, and give it to someone as a gift.
Lashings of Love